After eight or nine years in Religious School, and more than one year preparing for their Bar or Bat Mitzvah, Temple Sinai's older students are looking for something unique and experiential for their continued Jewish studies -- and Temple Sinai provides all that and more.
Our innovative Confirmation Class allows students to learn more about topics of interest to them in a seminar style format (they choose the subjects) and then do field work related to those topics. Seminars are held one Sunday each month and related field trips are held during alternating months. Each subject includes discussion on Jewish contributions, modern Jewish positions, and Talmudic and textual approaches. Past and current seminar subjects and trips include:
- Climate change — related trip to the Jersey Shore
- Money and Philanthropy — related trip as volunteers for the MS: City to Shore Run
- Attaining peace in our time— with separate mediation training
- Technology — related trip to a STEM lab
- Homelessness — related trip involving a food “drop off” at a homeless center and the maki
ng of fleece blankets for an emergency shelter
- Racial Relations — related trip to the Jewish Heritage Museum
- Food Insecurity— related trip to the Ronald McDonald House of Southern NJ (preparing and serving breakfast) and cooking lessons with a professional chef.
- Controversial Subjects — gun control, reproductive rights, sexual harassment
- Music — related trip to a church known for its Gospel music choir and leading Temple Sinai Shabbat Services
- Science and Medicine — related trip to the Mutter Museum
- Honoring Veterans — related trip to Crescent Cemetery to place flag holders on veterans’ gravesites following by a brunch with veterans
- Broadway and theater — related trip to the Walnut Street Theater for acting lessons
- Educational Policy
- Sports — related activity to run sports related events at Lag BaOmer field day
- Bullying/cyber bullying
- Refugees and victims of war — related trip to the National Liberty Museum
- Animals — related trips to the National Greyhound Adoption Center and to Seer Animal Farm (fostered animals).
- Environmental Protection — related trip to the Rancocas Nature Center to repair butterfly enclosure
- Fake News and politics — related trip to view the Union League’s political campaign collection
- Senior issues — related trip to Lion’s Gate Assisted Living Center for BINGO